Smiths Flour Mill, Walsall

Previous Developments > Smiths Flour Mill, Walsall

Introduction

Known originally as the ”Albion Mill” this 5 storey Victorian building was erected in 1849. Corn used to be delivered by canal immediately onto a dock under the building.

It was then winched to the top floor and processed with the aid of gravity, emerging as flour, back onto the dock from where it was delivered via the Walsall Canal to its customers.

It fell into disuse in about 1960 and deteriorated over the next 45 years, until bought by the GR8 Space group who obtained planning permission for 132 apartments, 45 of which were converted from the Victorian mill – the remaining 87 being in new buildings being in new buildings, cleverly arranged to provide a gated central courtyard maximising the views along the canal and listed locks.